In 36 years leading a volunteer-based tutor/mentor program I helped create three of the most respected tutor/mentor programs in Chicago, as
* Volunteer Director of the Montgomery Ward-Cabrini Green Tutoring Program from 1975-1990. Program grew from 100 to 300 pairs of teens and volunteers over 15 years.
* Executive Director of Cabrini-Green Tutoring Program, Inc. from 1990 till October 1992. Number of youth grew to 440 and the number of volunteers grew to 550.
* Founder and president of Cabrini Connections from 1993-2011. The program started in 1993 with five teens and 7 volunteers and enrolled more than 600 teens and 800 volunteers in the next 18 years
I helped grow the Lawyers Lend A Hand to Youth Program (http://www.lawyerslendahand.org/) from a $2k award in 1994 to a $2 million foundation in 2007, as
* I was a non-profit partner and founding member of Executive Committee of the Lend A Hand Program from 1994 to 2001 while it operated as part of the Chicago Bar Foundation
* I was a member of the Executive Board of SunTimes Marovitz Lawyers Lend A Hand to Youth Program from its founding in 2001 through 2008
I created the Tutor/Mentor Connection in 1993 as part of the Cabrini Connections organization’s strategic plan, with a goal of helping high-quality tutor/mentor programs reach more youth in all poverty areas of Chicago. Today the T/MC is a resource used by people in Chicago and throughout the world.
With no professional fund raising staff, limited dollars, no board members with connections to City Hall or wealthy families, I raised more than $6 million between 1993 and 2011 to support operations of Cabrini Connections, Tutor/Mentor Connection.
I created Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC in 2011 to support the continued work of Tutor/Mentor Connection in Chicago and to help similar intermediary organizations grow in other cities of the US and the world.
Awards & media: http://www.tutormentorexchange.net/awards-and-recognition
Specialties:volunteering, innovation, youth and workforce mentoring, learning, coaching, volunteer-based tutoring, non-traditional philanthropy, workforce development
Merchandise Mart PO Box 3303
Chicago, IL 60654United States